Friday, June 24, 2011

DEAD

I was hoping to post a witty title but nothing is coming to mind. Sometimes wit just isn`t needed, more matter hard much you want it.
So it`s the end of the work week and my productivity will soon come to an end, sorta. The weekend looms and the kids are anxious to go to water parks and other outdoor stuff. All in all it has been pretty good. Better than previous weeks.

The image below was a rough sketch, one of dozens, made for a publisher that wanted to promote the word DEAD for their books. My shit is to cartoony for them, not enough realism for their liking. They want the painted, sorta real, type imagery that you find most other places. So it was rejected, just like nearly every other idea and concept I gave them. To messy, to simple, not what I had envisioned at all, etc etc yadda yadda ya ...

Really freaked me out inside my own head. Totally fubared me for a while and even now it creeps in and threatens to make a mess again. So now I don`t work with them anymore. Haven`t in months and it`s for the best. I don`t think I will ever work for a publisher like that again. To restricting and smothering.

So anyways ... here`s an image that was condemed to hell but brought back to life like a cast member of Supernatural. Revamped and super charged from the original doodle.

As I mentioned in my last post, I am trying to turn this in to my J O B ... so I have started taking designs I like and putting them on shirts. Eventually I want to own my own silkscreen machine but until then, its the experts at spreadshirt that are doing it for me. Check my store here, it`s a tad bare at the moment, but I just started.
Also, if you have any ideas or suggestions, please do let me know. Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you should give up on publishers, there are plenty out there that would treat you better. I always approach it with something like "check out my work, and let me know which pieces fit the style you're looking for". That way, they should know what they are getting in advance. With unknown parties too, always get part of the commission money up front. That can often keep them on track as well, and not so quick to poo-poo the hard work you've done.

    Good luck, and let's see more of that art from you!

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Russ, hearing from you is always a positive experience. I agree that getting partial payment upfront is the way to go, and I always try to work that way. For the foreseeable future though I`m going to create pieces for fun and not worry about trying to find clients and work to other peoples specs. It`s very difficult for me to do ... some sort of mental carnage rages through my brain where I start being my own worst critic and actual get nothing done.

    So ... I work for me and if people want to own a little part of it, that`s awesome. Less pressure ... more fun.

    Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete